Saturday, July 25, 2015

Mutual Masturbation

I always seem to follow up a book with a blog post. ... I have no idea why. I think it's because I'm excited that yay there's a new book! And then thinking, "Oh, jeez, back to the grind!" Although this next one is going to be a new Janus Key Chronicle, so it won't be a grind at all. I actually have spent enough time doing other things that this next Debbie story is already written in my head. I know what's going on, I know what happens, cover's almost made (thanks to Jotham!) and it should roll out really easily once I sit down and actually start it.

However, blog post first.

I was thinking today about how erotica writers interact with each other. There are some who are very nice, actually for the most part the whole erotica community is pretty nice. We talk about dicks and gangbangs and big foot rape all day long, so it's nice to be able to share tips and pointers with people and not have them judge you when you think out loud, "Would a Squatchy dick be barbed? Could it? Would Amazon consider that beastiality? What about a knot?" Ah, the mysteries of Squatchy dick.

So, it's nice to have a community with other writers who understand the weirdness of what it is we write. Even the "traditional" erotica (and by this I mean mostly mf vanilla flavor-flav with maybe a billionaire kink or something thrown in, not the weirdness I write at times) writer has problems connecting to people in their lives, because people view sex as a shameful thing in the States. I'm not so sure other people in other countries who write erotica have this problem, but we in the States sure do. That being said, the connections tend to be very shallow, and more along the lines of "Read my book!" as most erotica writers use social media as pretty much their only advertising, cause it's free.

That's not necessarily bad, but it feels... weird at times. Like, it feels fake, and while I'm sure most of the people aren't really fake (haha, no really), it comes off as... self-serving at times, and I suppose it is. I mean, I'll absolutely be the first to admit I mostly use twitter to advertise, and rarely say anything of importance... but I fucking hate Twitter. I have a "regular" Twitter account that I used to check until I realized I didn't give a shit what any person was doing at any given second. Don't. Care. Fuck. Off. Being an erotica writer, and following other writers on Twitter to see what they're doing... yeah, most of the Tweets are ads. I try really hard not to spam though, because I just personally think that's rude, and I do sprinkle in other things some of which even aren't erotica related.

Facebook is actually the same way. I only check my "regular" Facebook account to see what sort of... stuff... my family posts once in a while. Once in a great while. Very great. And fuck, I'll admit it... I unfollowed most of them. For this pen name though, I'm actually on every day for probably like an hour, sometimes more, sometimes less. I read every post that comes through my timeline, and I like the ones I like. I post announcements there, and I'm doing a writing challenge every week, so that's more interactivity and it has spurred on some creative things, which I enjoy! I missed last week cause I got up late and had like a social life to get to, but I'll hit this week's.

Anyway, the point here is that for the most part, erotica writers are the followers of other erotica writers. There are some fans, even for me and I'm not popular, but it's reminiscent of a big circle jerk. It's not bad. You can learn a lot from watching other people, and you can find some decent smut that way too. However, I think what most erotica writers really hope for when they start all this stuff is that fans will like their pages, and tweet to them. I know I'd get a kick out of it, and it's just really sad that there are so few people who are willing to do so. I'm always one for leaving a review when I read a book, good or bad, though not so much for interacting with the authors, so I get why people don't... it just sadly leaves us writers jerking each other off.

However, there's another point to this post which is related to the title, and that is that a very good friend of mine who also writes smut (and it's decent--he's a good writer, though he generally doesn't write in my kinks, link to his Amazon page to follow) and I have decided to try our hand at recording audio books. What's especially awesome about this is that we recorded some samples, and while I was dying of embarrassment for reading it aloud to an empty room while the cat watched me weirdly he was laughing his ass off at the prose I wrote (and yes, Bryce, it IS ridiculous)... but we agreed to give it a shot. Whether it turns into a thing or not, I don't know. I am going to be recording probably at least the first chapter of his first book, Demon's Embrace, this week and send it off to him to see if he thinks it's ok. I do believe (though I need to reconfirm, because I've been fuzzy all week from lack of sleep and playing Darkest Dungeon too much... FUCKING VESTAL KILLED HERSELF WHY WOULD SHE DO THAT?!... ahem) that he will help me out recording the male POV smut I write while I record his. In this effect, it's helping each other out. But it could also be construed as mutual jerking off. Heh.

Anyway, going to wrap up the post to say that interacting with the authors I have has been a mostly positive experience, and I've made one very good friend in doing so. Everyone say hi to Bryce Calderwood, who writes epic futa girl smut! Bryce, say hello to the two other people who read this. XD Also, stories about pastries who get women to lick them. I still say five stars, will Pussy Donut again.

2 comments:

  1. Great, now I think about this in terms of jerking you off, and unlike the girls in my stories, you don't have a cock. :P

    It's TOTALLY a huge mutual wankfest/circlejerk but I think it pays off because there ARE fans and when they like a writer chances are good they'll like other writers recommended by or friends with them. Plus we're writers so we love to read and all of our writer friends are either writing stuff we like too or can recommend good stuff.

    By the way, Bigfoot is one word. Bigfoot rape and big foot rape are two very different things. And you know what they say about big feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I meant it as big foot rape. Maybe I meant Squatchy. WHO KNOWS?! Maybe I was just really tired when I wrote this, in a hurry, and didn't care. >.>

      I think it is worth it, yeah. I just wish it didn't seem so fake at times. I also don't quite remember where I was heading when I wrote that initially, so who knows?

      Delete