Saturday, February 11, 2017

Burn Out?

I've been having a hard time focusing this week on writing. I did, however, manage to get another short out (hurray!) and work some on the next Delilah Devilshot as well as another... but I still just can't focus. I'm writing at the same time every day. I know what's going to happen. I have no problems once I get started, yet my attention drifts every time I turn to write. Is this burn out? My mind keeps making up stories, so I don't think so.

It could be interest level. Now the Witches of Back End was a cute little series, but it wasn't something I threw my heart and soul into, and that's ok. It's fine to write a quick little sexy tale and not have it mean anything more. However, I just don't think that's my thing. When I'm working on something I love--like Villainess or Delilah--I live, eat, and breathe it every day until it's done. My mind keeps working overtime to think up twists or characters or what-have-you. With the last couple Witches shorts, I've had to double down on my drive and focus, making myself write. I could leave it unfinished, but... well, who am I kidding? No, I couldn't. I can't leave stories like that unfinished. It just... wouldn't be right. They may not be the deepest stories in the land, but it'll be whole and complete.

I've written in my writing forecast that I plan on doing two JKC inbetween each "big" work after the Witches series is done, and I will until it's finished. Again, I know where it's going and I have a plot, I just have to work up some motivation for it. What started out as light and funny and silly erotica turned serious, which I didn't mean it to be. I have to make a concentrated effort to return it to something lighter and sillier and hopefully funnier.

Some things are just easier for me to write. Horror, blood, drama... all these are easy. Lightness takes effort and work. I think more than being "burned out" or interest, I think I just have to work harder at making a quality product. It's worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment