Friday, August 4, 2017

To Patreon or Not to Patreon

Lately, I've been noticing more and more indie authors going to Patreon as well as publishing through Amazon or D2D or Smashwords (or all three). What Patreon is, for those who don't know, is a place for artists to post exclusive content for people who support them per month. The donations can be low as a dollar, or high as... well, whatever the artist puts it at.

The content creator can do anything, really, so long as people are willing to support them. It looks like it could potentially be a nice secondary source of revenue, but I'm a little afraid to try it. The first, as Bryce succinctly put it, was "What if you do it and no one supports you?" Not only would that be embarrassing, it would also be depressing. My main concern though is putting out enough "exclusive" content that it would be worthwhile. I think a couple people would support me. Maybe not much? Maybe not more than one or two? But if they did, I'd want to make sure that extra couple bucks is worth it. I mean, every two to three dollars would be like a book being sold for me (after Amazon takes their cut), so I should put out a short story worth every month, right? Problem is that sometimes I can't even just in publishing!

There are other benefits that I could list, such as early sneak peeks, early release access (or Advanced Reader Copies (ARC)) to new stuff, exclusive releases, and so on, as well as perhaps gifting people with copies of books I've already written. Doing a quick look at some other Patreon pages, I think I have a lot to offer. It would be another platform to open up, and I can give away some really great things. One thing I also thought about was that I could move the blog over to there. Hardly anyone reads this anyway, and it's mostly a place for my thoughts. Some authors offer a chance to immortalize people in prose. I have a wide variety of works. Like I said, I think I can offer a lot!

It's something to think about. I think I'll probably give it a shot. I need a place to consolidate things. I'm terrible at doing mailing lists because I think I'm annoying people, and just posting on Facebook is sort of like shooting in the dark. It's definitely something to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment